Sunday, April 6, 2008

April 6th Sunday

I got up at 11:00am. I had a breakfast of bread with butter and jam. I showered and got ready for the day. My plan was to go with Casey to pick up Glynnis and Lana. Glynnis is the younger sister of Caleb and Devon, the two brothers in the TAM program. Lana is another girl in the program. They were visiting and we were headed on a trip together.

I met Casey at St Michel at 1:30pm. We went up to Gare du Nord to meet Glynnis. We were able to find her amongst all the other train passengers. She had lots of luggage and we had time to kill before heading up to the airport to get Lana so she put her luggage in the lockers there.

We went to a nearby café that had wifi. Casey was sadly still plagued with the papers from Prague. Her deadline had been Friday but she was having trouble finishing them. We sat in the café and talked for a bit. I was hungry for lunch so I ordered a crêpe complète. Sadly though, it didn’t have any ham in it. It was just egg and cheese. I also had a small hot chocolate.

We left at 4:30pm and took RER B to the airport. While we were waiting for the train, I was talking to Casey and Glynnis. A homeless man came up and asked us for some money. I looked at him and said “Non, désolée.” His eyes grew wide and he yelled “Désolée!? DÉSOLÉE?!!” He came forward and pulled something out of his jacket. We all jumped back. Thankfully it was only a big wine bottle. He kept looking at me and yelling “Désolé! Dégoulasse!” as we shuffled through the crowd closer to the platform. I was pretty freaked out at that point. I thought he was going to attack us. That was the first time I’d seen a beggar get violent.

We were able to board the RER. We ended up getting off at the wrong terminal and had to switch. By the time we got to the welcome area we weren’t sure if Lana had gotten out yet. It was a good hour after her landing time. Some of us stayed while others wandered around looking for her. She did come out and we took the RER back to Gare du Nord. We got out there so that Glynnis could get her bags. While she went to get her bags, the rest of us stopped by one of the food counters to get a snack. I bought a beignet aux pommes. It was like an apple stuffed doughnut.

Eventually, Glynnis rejoined us and we all headed down to take the metro. We took the metro to Casey’s apartment (formerly Heidi’s and still Amanda’s). There we dropped off their bags. Then Lana, Glynnis and I headed toward Sara’s neighborhood. Sara is one of the Italian Euromasters. We met up with Christine and Violetta. Christine is from England and Violetta is from Greece. They just had arrived that day. We met up and went to a restaurant for dinner. I ended up taking the Menu Express for €15.50. I had duck with a sauce on top and potatoes. My dessert was the cheese plate with a salad. It was very good. The waitress was pretty weird and joked around with us. Since not everyone spoke French well we had a mixture of French and English. The dinner was quite lovely. We had a bottle of Chablis with the dinner.

Afterward I took the metro home. It was pretty late at this point. I got home and talked to my parents on Skype. Then I talked to Tom. I usually talk to each of them for an hour so it was quite late. I ended up going to bed around 5:00am. It seemed that for it being a vacation, I wasn’t getting much sleep.

No comments: