Thursday, April 3, 2008

April 3rd Thursday

I got up at 11:30am and had some yogurt with honey for breakfast. I got ready and waited for Heidi.

Adrienne and I met Heidi at the Hôtel des Invalides at 1:30pm. It cost €6 to get in and see both the tomb and the main area. I had seen the tomb with my aunt, uncle, and cousins before but I hadn’t been in the main part yet. Sadly, parts of the exhibits were closed. I wanted to see Napoleon’s horse and dog. For consolation, there was a Charles de Gaulle exhibit in one area that we got to see. It was an interesting portrayal of France’s World War II hero. The strange thing was that in some pictures, we thought his pose and aura looked slightly parallel to that of Hitler.

After our little visit, Adrienne headed home and it was down to Heidi and me. We were going to go to the catacombs but realized that they were probably closing by now. We decided to go grab some lunch instead. We went to the Café du Marché on Rue Cler. We both got the Salade Brick du chevre chaud. It was one of their signature salads with a crusted and warm block of goat cheese. It was very delicious.

After lunch we headed to the patisserie across the street. I bought a chocolate éclair. I ate it right there and it was delicious. Heidi walked toward home with me. I stopped by a bakery that Karuna pointed out as good and got a baguette. Heidi and I continued onward. We stopped on Rue Saint Dominique to look at the basilica there. I passed it often and this was the first time I went in. It was very pretty inside. It looked incredibly impressive for being the random church that I passed on my way to the grocery store.

Heidi hopped on the metro to go home and I went to my apartment. I chatted online a bit and then headed to Franprix for groceries. I bought lots of food. We’d depleted most of our supplies because we hadn’t had time to go shopping for a few weeks.

I went home and did the dishes. They had piled up as well. I also cleaned the counters and stove. It had a wonderful Spring cleaning feel to it.

For dinner I indulged in a bit of decadence and made myself a foie gras sandwich. It was absolutely delicious. After dinner I talked on Skype with my parents. Then, I talked to Tom on Skype! He finally had gotten a microphone so that we could talk. It was hard getting a hold of him.

It was rather late after my several hours Skype conversations but Adrienne and I stayed up talking for a long time. I didn’t go to bed until 5:00am! I was amazed that we stayed up that late especially since we had somewhere to be the next day.

No comments: