January 6th Sunday
Adrienne had decided she wanted to go to church in the morning and catch the 9am service. I might join her later out of curiosity but for now my inability to go to bed early was making me crave sleep. I had set my alarm for 9:00 so that I could be ready by the time Adrienne was done. We had found a grocery store online that was open on Sundays and we wanted to go shopping.
Adrienne returned and we left the house at around 11:00. The sun made it look like it was really early. It hung low over the buildings and made long shadows on the ground. I always forget how much farther north Paris is than Littleton.
We walked down the street with my small rolly suitcase in tow. It didn’t look like the French shopping baskets but it served the same purpose. We peeked in at a 24 hour gas station grocery store that we discovered on the way. It would be good to know what was there in case we desperately needed something later. It was too small for our needs so we continued on to the G20 store to look around.
The store was fairly small but had a pretty good selection to get some essentials. We ended up with lavender toilet paper. It made me laugh. We also got some things like more soup, some sandwich bread, chicken, and the most essential of all: Nutella.
French cashiers always seem to be in a rush and I feel it necessary to quickly remove all of my things off of the counter. Ours tried to hurry Adrienne into taking one of the bags with a curt “Madame!”
I thanked goodness for the ease of my suitcase. I hope its wheels are strong enough to be my shopping cart for a year.
We made it home and unpacked our groceries before going to buy a baguette. I heated up the rest of our vegetable soup box and we ate that with some of our fresh baguette accompanied by butter and cheese. It was rather good.
After lunch I did dishes while Adrienne took a nap. She’d gotten up much earlier than I had that morning. I read my book and typed for a long time. I finally woke Adrienne up because I knew she had a Skype talk scheduled with her dad at 6pm. She found out that they would not be on until later so we had to decide what to do next.
Food! We went out in search of sustenance. But of course, it was Sunday. The streets were nearly deserted and made it seem much later than it was. I always feel like some kind of weirdo when I’m out of my apartment on Sunday. We encountered a few expensive restaurants before deciding to return to the apartment and eat leftovers. I once again had my duck, veggies, and rice. I had a little bit of milk to drink with it. I was especially excited about dessert. I had a little bit of Nutella on a piece of baguette leftover from lunch. Yum!!
After dinner, I went on the internet and was able to have a conversation on Skype with my parents. I checked emails and looked up some information for a while.
That evening, Adrienne and I got to talking and talked for a long time. I always find that when I’m sleeping in the same room as someone, that it’s like a little sleepover. We talk about so many things. Plus, it’s always later at night that you feel more comfortable to talk about stuff that would be strange around the lunch table. We also planned the next day out a little.
After talking, I read my book and ended up staying up until 1:00am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment