Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 23rd Wednesday

We got up at 8:30am to get ready for class. This time keeps feeling earlier and earlier. I had some Muesli cereal for breakfast. We headed off for class.

We had Padis first. I actually spoke in class. Our first reading had been about the separation between the Left and the Right in France and whether it was still pertinent. The other readings analyzed some public opinion surveys in France.

After class, Carlos went with me to the BDE (Bureau des Elèves) to see about opening a bank account. On the website it says that all Sciences Po students are eligible to open a BNP bank account and receive €80. Carlos said we needed a voucher but it turned out the BDE says we just need our student cards.

I let Carlos use my phone to try to sort out a housing issue before we went to the student common area. We both needed to charge our computers and read for the next class. I took a break from reading to go to the cafeteria and buy lunch. I got the menu that included a simple ham and butter sandwich, a bottle of water, and an apple. I bought a Coke from the vending machine. While I was eating and reading, I saw Heidi and talked a bit.

We then had class with Irondelle. Luckily I sat right in front of him and understood more. I was so excited. I still didn’t quite get everything but it was enough. At the end of class, we were packing up to go and he was trying to let us know about changing some reading assignments around. Suddenly this very official man popped into the room and yelled “S’il vous plait, Il est l’heure!” (Please, it’s time to go!) I guess there was going to be some kind of talk there now. I had to turn around because I couldn’t keep myself from laughing at him. It was exactly 4:45pm, when our class ends. The man was just so angry. Ah well, I guess we can find jerks in any culture.

Adrienne and I walked home and made dinner. I wanted to use up some of our potatoes so I made mashed potatoes. We also cooked up some chicken and Mediterranean vegetables. It turned out pretty good. I had an ice cream bar for dessert and I almost melted. The chocolate on it was so dark and rich. It was amazing. *Insert Homer drool here*

After dinner we decided to watch a movie while we waited for Karuna to arrive. She was coming in from Madrid to visit and pick up a bag. I picked Brothers Grimm in memory of Heath Ledger. I think Adrienne found it a bit scary.

Finally Karuna arrived and we all said hello to one another. She hadn’t eaten dinner so I walked to the Chinese take-out place nearby with her. It was after 10:00pm so the place was closing. She was able to get some food and we went back to the apartment.

I talked to my mom on the phone later. I went to bed relatively early at 12:00 or so.

No comments: