January 19th Saturday
I slept like a log until 2:00pm. I’m still horrified that I slept that late but I had to remind myself that it was still only almost seven hours of sleep. It felt like morning for me even though the day was half over for everyone else. I went to the boulangerie on the corner to get some food for brunch. I bought a baguette, two croissants, and a Quiche Lorraine. I decided that I had been in France too long not to have eaten a quiche or croissant. I made my way back home and started munching on the quiche. It was very good even room temp. It would have been even better heated. Adrienne enjoyed the croissant that I’d bought her.
I decided to try our little washing machine and get some laundry done. My lack of socks let me know that my laziness deadline was up. I looked at the washing machine and could only blink in confusion. Adrienne and I got out the directions and poured over them. Finally, we manipulated some of the dials and got it started. Phew. I’ll live to be clothed another day.
I read a few things while my laundry was churning. I decided to break into the croissant that had been beckoning me from the kitchen. It was sooooooo good. It was buttery and flaky. The flavor was amazing. I still couldn’t resist and put some Nutella on a little piece of it. I had to try it out. I was very pleased with it.
Eventually it was time to make dinner. We made some couscous flavored with a chicken bouillon cube. Then we had some frozen ratatouille that we’d bought in the grocery store. We put some of it in a pan and cooked that up as well. We served up the dinner and were immediately treated to the best foodgasm ever. I’d never had ratatouille before but this was amazing. I can only imagine what it must taste like homemade. I don’t know how to express how amazing it was. Here goes: it was day-lee-see-uh.
After dinner I resisted the urge to smoke a cigarette and satisfied myself with some bread and Nutella. I tried to read for a while. I read some class things and also looked at online webcomics. I even got to talk to my parents on Skype. They were wondering if I’d made it home safe after my night out.
“You’re going to stay in tonight right?”
“*cough* Oh I don’t know. We’ll see.”
I did in fact have an invitation from Amanda to go out that night. Adrienne wanted to go too so I was pretty excited. We left at midnight and went to the République station only to find out that they were, in fact, at the Bastille station. We debated walking and just took the metro instead. We found Sara and Amanda sitting at a table outside of a café. They paid their bill and we headed toward a club. The club was called Sanz Sans. It was very crowded when we walked in because the bar was in front of the door. We made our way around and eventually found a table away from the crush of people. The interior was fun. The walls were dominated by a deep red and it was a style that fell somewhere around gothic. The chairs were also red and elaborately designed. They had a video projected on the wall of the bar. I was wondering what purpose it served. I eventually found out why and this fact bumped the bar up from merely interesting to very cool. The lampshades over the bar were actually cymbals. While the DJ played the music, the bartenders would randomly grab some drumsticks and play along on the cymbals. It was pretty entertaining but quite loud when trying to order a drink. I was eventually able to order a mojito at the bar. This one was quite good as well.
We found out that another Euromaster was at a club nearby with his friend. We decided to leave and meet up with him. We wandered around a bit and eventually found John outside of a club. We then found out that it cost €20. We couldn’t afford to hang out there. We went in search of another place and found Café Iguana. We were able to get in with no cover. The interior of this place was very different from the interior of the Sanz Sans. This place was dominated by black and looked much more modern. There were interesting light fixtures on the walls and some of them looked like masks. Sara and Adrienne both ordered strawberry virgin piña coladas. I ordered a drink called B’52. It had Bailey’s, Kaluha, and Grand Marnier in it. The waiter even tried to flambé it. The flame wouldn’t hold but it did make the drink very warm. I think I found my favorite drink ever.
We finally decided we’d had enough fun and since the metro was closed we caught a taxi in front of the bar. There were four of us so I sat in the front. Sara told him where she needed to be dropped off. Amanda was going to stay at our place so I told him to go to the Musée d’Orsay. The cab ride was fairly silent because we all felt rather sleepy. The driver kind of teased us about it. He was really funny and actually kind of nice. We dropped Sara off and continued onward. The whole trip was only €10 and split between four people it was comparable to the metro.
Amanda ended up coming with us and staying over because her house is so far away. We went to bed around 5:00am.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment