Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 31st Thursday

We got up around 11:30am and I had some cereal for breakfast. We stayed in our pajamas for a little while since we were just around the apartment. My phone rang and I found out it was Amanda. She was in the neighborhood and wondered if she could drop in and say hi. I told her she was welcome to come.

We all said hi and Amanda joined us in looking at some funny videos on YouTube. Our favorites were the videos for Flight of the Conchords. We like the songs “Business Time” and “If that’s what you’re into.” We wasted a fair amount of time laughing like idiots at these videos. I think they’re quite funny.

Amanda also told us some interesting information. She had just been in a meeting with professor Grossman. She told him about going to the Fondation d’Innovation Politique the night before. He said, “Ah UMP huh?” I guess the Foundation is the think-tank for the Union pour Mouvement Populaire, a center-right party in France. This surprised me. We couldn’t find any mention of the UMP on any of the information from the group. (Though a few days later, Adrienne figured out that it used to be funded mostly by the UMP. Now it is funded by public money.)

Eventually Amanda had to head out. She went on her way and the rest of us made ourselves a little more presentable. I won a game of rock, paper, scissors to take the first shower. Then while Karuna was waiting for the shower, she decided to wax the floors. It was good to see how it was supposed to be done because I haven’t had to deal with nice wooden floors that much on my own. She waxed herself into the bathroom where she took her shower. The floor would be dry by the time she came out. Meanwhile, Adrienne had gone to the post office to mail a card. I messed around on my computer in the kitchen.

After the showers were all complete, Karuna mixed together some flour, eggs and butter to make what she called a German Pancake. She melted butter and put it in a baking dish before spreading the mixture along the bottom of the pan. She had to leave with her friend Stan and couldn’t stick around to see how it turned out. When Adrienne and I were able to taste it, it reminded me of the popovers that my mom makes. My mom said that when it’s spread in a pan it’s called Yorkshire pudding. Whatever you call it, it tastes amazing. I love the buttery and eggy flavor of it. It was very good.

We made a little Cantonese rice to go with it and settled down to finish the movie we’d started the night we were waiting for Karuna to fly in. We made it through the rest of the Brothers Grimm. I really like the ending to the movie. I think it’s interesting.

Adrienne and I spent some time on our computers. I showed her lots of clips from Across the Universe. I’m very excited to see the movie again. I also want to buy the soundtrack. I drew a picture of the movie poster. I finally made it to sleep around 3:00.

No comments: