Sunday, January 27, 2008

January 27th Sunday

I heard Karuna get up and get her things together. It was only a few hours after we’d gone to bed so I was exhausted and barely registered anything. Soon it was quite and I assumed that she had made it off okay. Then I got a text message and woke up enough to read it. It was Karuna. Sadly she’d forgotten her passport at the house and had to come back. She made it to the apartment at 6:30am. This didn’t leave her enough time to get to the airport by 8:30 so she decided she would just buy another ticket later this week. We were glad to see Karuna again but sorry that she missed her flight. We all went back to bed around 7:00am.

We finally got up around 2:00pm. It definitely felt good to get some sleep after that crazy night. I got up and ate some yogurt for “breakfast.”

I played around on my computer for a bit and talked to some people online. We all took our showers. We’ve actually got amazing hot water that lasts forever and high water pressure to go with it. It is a definite plus that I sometimes take for granted here. You never know with French bathrooms.

I got to talk to my parents on Skype. It’s always great to get to talk to them, especially when we can get it to work for free. I was still in my robe from the shower when I heard the doorbell ring. Karuna answered the door. I quickly got dressed and went out to see who was here. It was Luc. He’s our landlord’s son and the reason we know that this apartment exists. Karuna has known him for a while here and that’s how she came to stay here for 5 months this last year. We talked with him for a while before he had to go.

While he was here, Karuna showed us how to make a quiche. We put in a tiny layer of mustard, grated Emmenthal, egg, tomato, milk, and raisins. I wasn’t sure about the raisins but we would see how it turned out.

Karuna’s friend Natalie from the night before came over. She brought a bottle of wine with her as well. We had quiche and wine. The quiche turned out very good and the raisins were actually pretty good in it. We made a salad to go with it.

We had had some confusion over a ham that was in our fridge. Adrienne and I thought that the landlord was going to come pick the ham up at some point. It had been sitting there for a long time waiting for him to get it. Finally, Karuna decided she should take it to the landlord because it had been there so long. He explained that it was actually for us and we could eat it! It’s a very good ham made in the south of France. It’s cured in some way so that it’s already cooked. We sliced some off and ate it with the dinner. It was very good. It has a soft but chewy texture and an almost buttery flavor. I was excited that we got to try such an amazing ham.

For dessert we had random items from the Chinese market as well as other cookies around the house. We talked for a while until Natalie had to go. She also had to catch the last metro.

After everyone kind of dispersed to either the metro or bed, I stayed up and talked a bit with Tom online. I also typed a bit and updated my Livejournal. I eventually got to bed between 2:30 and 3:00.

No comments: